This is a permanent, full-time position based in ClearlySo’s London office.
London, United Kingdom
January 3, 2020
ClearlySo is Europe’s leading impact investment bank, working exclusively with entrepreneurs and funds delivering attractive financial returns as well as positive social and/or environmental impact. The firm has raised more capital for such organisations than any similar firm in Europe and our pipeline of business is growing very fast. Our work proves that impact has become a key third dimension in investment decision-making, and that values-driven businesses and funds can be both high impact and return.
Founded in 2008, ClearlySo has advised 100+ clients raising over £250m from its network of high net worth individuals and institutional investors to help them scale their businesses. Recent milestones include helping to raise £70m for our clients in 2018, a big jump from the prior year (£45m), a surge in impact fund mandates and significant external investment in the business. You can read more about us on our website: www.clearlyso.com.
We are looking for an exceptional and committed professional to strengthen and expand our engagement with institutional investors. The business provides currently specialist corporate finance advisory and execution services to impact enterprises—predominantly in five economic sectors; Health & Wellness, Education, Responsible Consumerism, Financial Inclusion and Energy & the Environment. These areas offer exciting opportunities to investors seeking returns as well as impact. The business also advises, structures and acts as a placement agent for impact funds looking to raise capital from institutional investors. You will be an integral part of an established and experienced team and involved in the sales and distribution of these capital raising transactions. As the ClearlySo team is still small, sales professionals are encouraged to engage in various aspects of our business (such as origination and execution), but your role will be mostly focused on institutional sales.
This is a very exciting time to join the sales team (currently two professionals) as both our client pipeline and investor networks are growing rapidly. This reflects a significant step change in the impact investing market over the last year or so combined with ClearlySo reaping the benefits of its very strong brand presence. We are enjoying a surging pipeline of high-quality transactions from existing and new clients and need to strengthen our extensive investor network and execution capacity. The role offers a high level of exposure to entrepreneurs, investors and businesses at the forefront of the impact investment space.
ClearlySo is seeking experienced salespeople who are keen to deploy their skills in raising finance for organisations looking to make the world a better place. Although the firm seeks to pay at the upper end of the impact investment sector, candidates are unlikely to match compensation available in the investment mainstream—at least for now. However, the work environment is far more collegial and positive. Given this requirement, we are open to candidates with varying levels of experience—subject to a minimum of three years, but would also be open to meeting with candidates with far more experience too). Compensation will be commensurate with experience and we encourage anyone fed up with the monotony of mainstream banks to apply.
Institutional sales & business development
- Marketing enterprise and fund investment opportunities to our investor networks; mostly to institutional investors.
- Be responsible for managing several priority institutional investor accounts and ensuring regular engagement and maintaining an up-to-date understanding of their investment criteria and activity.
- Building institutional relationships and gathering information about investor preferences, in order to identify opportunities that are aligned to their criteria and enhancing an increasingly sophisticated database of these investors.
- Proactively develop your own network of contacts and interact with impact enterprises, fund managers, investors and other stakeholders as well as advisers across the industry.
- Helping to expand and enlarge our network of institutional investors based in Continental Europe and in other markets outside the UK—these investors have become increasingly vital to ClearlySo.
- Learn from and work alongside the experienced institutional salespeople, with an unparalleled track record in impact investment.
- Represent ClearlySo externally at events and conferences.
- Help raising the profile of the ClearlySo brand by contributing to creative marketing campaigns and assisting with administration and coordination of our events.
Transaction execution and completion
- Assist deal managers in driving transactions to a successful completion, especially in engaging with potential investors and managing negotiations.
- Conduct market soundings and analyses for proposed transaction opportunities (e.g. for client pitches and to internal investment committee meetings)
- Manage investor outreach and brief the client ahead of prospective investor meetings.
- Provide critical analyses of investment materials and prepare the client for pitch sessions with prospective investors.
- A minimum of 3 years of financial markets sales experience from a wealth management, venture capital, private equity, public markets, investment/corporate banking or related field.
- Confident professional with a bias for action and experience in effectively contacting, engaging with, closing transactions with – and ensuring effective coverage of – institutional investors.
- An independent and reliable colleague who can effectively engage with current or new investors on specific transaction opportunities or wider coverage.
- Enthusiasm for working in a small, entrepreneurial company and good cultural fit with the team.
- Natural ability to make positive initial impression, sell and form deep and lasting relationships.
- Clear commitment to and passion for a better financial system where the impact of investments is considered alongside financial risk and return.
- Attention to detail and financial prudence; experience working in a regulated environment.
Nice to haves:
- Corporate finance or transaction/execution experience.
- Strong connections and network with family offices and/or wealth management firms.
- An existing network of investors/LPs active in the impact investment or PE/VC funds market.
- Experience of using databases, CRM systems (e.g. Pipedrive) or other similar technologies.
- Proficiency in one or more European languages.
- Experience of working with impact enterprises/investors
- Knowledge of trends and regulations affecting the impact investment market.
What we offer:
- An exciting and challenging role at Europe’s leading impact investment bank.
- The opportunity to work alongside a highly-motivated and diverse team with a strong commitment to achieving our mission and track record in closing impact transactions, which is uniquely positioned to capitalise on the surge in transaction activity in impact investing.
- A salary at the higher end of the impact investing sector; stock options; pension contribution; and potential for bonuses based upon firm-wide and individual performance.
- A pleasant, collaborative and dynamic place of work.
How to apply:
Please email email@example.com with your CV, plus a brief covering letter telling us why you are a great fit for the role. ClearlySo is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants must have an appropriate visa to work on an ongoing basis in the UK.