Impact Focused Corporate Finance Role
This is a permanent, full-time position based in ClearlySo’s London office.
London, United Kingdom
ClearlySo is Europe’s leading impact investment bank, working exclusively with entrepreneurs and funds delivering attractive financial returns as well as positive social and/or environmental impact. We provide corporate finance advice and assist clients in raising investment capital from institutional and individual investors. ClearlySo has raised more capital for such organisations than any similar firm in Europe and our pipeline of business is growing very fast. Our work proves that impact has become a key third dimension in investment making decisions, and that values-driven businesses can be both high impact and return.
Founded in 2008, ClearlySo has advised 149 clients raising £264m from its network of institutional investors and high net worth individuals and helping them to scale their businesses. Recent milestones include helping to raise £72m for our clients in 2018, a big jump from the prior year (£45m), a surge in impact fund mandates, and being named ‘Business Consultancy of the Year’ at the British Small Business Awards. You can read more about us on our website: www.clearlyso.com.
We are looking for an exceptional and committed professional to join the Investment Banking (“IB”) team to strengthen and broaden the work we do with our larger enterprise clients. The current IB team provides specialist corporate finance advisory and transaction execution services to high impact enterprises looking to raise capital from institutional and individual impact investors. It also advises fund managers on structuring and raising impact funds. Historically most of the transactions we have intermediated have been equity-related, but as clients have matured an increasing percentage are debt. We are also starting to advise clients on M&A opportunities and transactions. We are looking for someone who has strong corporate finance transaction experience skills, especially in capital raising, and is looking to utilise these skills to the benefit of the high-impact clients with which ClearlySo works.
We have focused and are strengthening our expertise across five themes in impact investing: sustainability and the environment, education and training, healthcare and wellbeing, responsible consumption and financial inclusion. Many of our clients’ business models are built around scalable and differentiated technology platforms This role involves originating and successfully advising high-impact organisations on raising capital across these themes. Our focus is on raising growth capital (e.g. Series A and Series B rounds) from our extensive institutional investor network in order to help clients accelerate their growth and increase the positive impact that they achieve. The opportunity is to capture the strong deal flow and investor appetite we are seeing and scale up our capital raised, impact achieved and track record in this sector. Our large investor network for funding and supporting these clients includes family offices, VCTs, VC and private equity funds, CVC funds, impact funds, pension funds and other financial institutions.
This is a very exciting time to join the IB team as both our client pipeline and investor networks are growing rapidly. This reflects a significant step change in the impact investing market over the last year or so combined with ClearlySo reaping the benefits of its very strong brand presence. We are enjoying a full pipeline of high-quality transactions from existing and new clients and our extensive institutional investor network is growing rapidly across the UK and Europe. We have also been expanding and strengthening the sales and distribution element of the IB team to meet this demand and capitalise on ClearlySo’s unique position and momentum. The role offers a high level of exposure to entrepreneurs, investors and businesses at the forefront of the impact investment space.
Transaction execution and origination
- Origination and conversion: identify, originate and convert our client base and pipeline of large (e.g. Series A and Series B) capital raising transactions by leveraging your own contacts and ClearlySo’s vast network of high-impact enterprises.
- Transaction delivery: project manage and drive transactions with our clients and potential investors to successful completion. This work will include both rigorous client preparation, engaging and negotiating with institutional investors, ongoing tactical advice and assistance to clients, finalising commercial terms and proactive transaction management to completion.
- Investors: complement and strengthen our institutional investor network by introducing investors you have engaged with or approached previously when managing transactions, or new ones you have identified in the market.
General personal and business development
- Proactively develop your own network of contacts and interact with impact enterprises, institutional investors and other stakeholders as well as advisers across the industry.
- Represent ClearlySo externally at events and conferences.
- Help raising the profile of the ClearlySo brand by contributing to creative marketing campaigns and assisting with administration and coordination of our events.
- Demonstrate strong corporate finance transaction experience, preferably in originating converting and executing institutional (e.g. Series A and / or Series B) capital raising transactions for high-growth organisations, from working in a leading professional services advisory firm(s).
- Experience in managing and driving all aspects of transactions involving our clients engaging with institutional investors, including thorough preparation with clients, outreach to investors, negotiation of terms, management of due diligence and overall transaction project management and tactical advice to clients.
- Ability to work on and manage larger, more demanding and complex transactions with clients seeking to raise significant sums of capital from institutional investors.
- Confident professional with a bias for action and experience in effectively contacting, engaging with, proactively driving and closing transactions with – and ensuring effective coverage of – institutional investors.
- An independent and reliable colleague who can effectively engage with current or new investors on specific transaction opportunities or wider coverage.
- Enthusiasm for working in a small, entrepreneurial company and a boutique corporate finance firm and good cultural fit with the team.
- Natural ability to make positive initial impression, sell and form deep and lasting relationships.
- Clear commitment to and passion for a better financial system where the impact of investments is considered alongside financial risk and return (NOTE: No prior experience in this area is required).
- Attention to detail and financial prudence; rigorous and highly professional approach to managing clients and transactions; and experience working in a regulated environment.
Nice to haves:
- Insights and experience of transactions in one or more of our five impact themes.
- An existing network of investors active in the impact investment or PE/VC funds market.
- Strong connections and network with institutional investors in Europe or family offices.
- Experience of working within impact enterprises/ investors.
- Experience of working on M+A transactions.
- Knowledge of trends and regulations affecting the impact investment market.
- Proficiency in one or more Continental European languages.
What we offer:
- An exciting and challenging role at Europe’s leading impact investment bank.
- The opportunity to work alongside a highly-motivated and diverse team with a strong commitment to achieving our mission and track record in closing impact transactions, which is uniquely positioned to capitalise on the surge in transaction activity in impact investing.
- A salary at the higher end of the impact investing sector; stock options; pension contribution; and potential for bonuses based upon firm-wide and individual performance.
- A pleasant, collaborative and dynamic place of work.
How to apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, plus a brief covering letter telling us why you are a great fit for the role. ClearlySo is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants must have an appropriate visa to work in the UK.