We believe in the power of transformative business to answer social and environmental challenges – our values are embodied by our people and in the way we work.
Our team at ClearlySo is made up of a diverse range of individuals, from many different professional and cultural backgrounds, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer (ClearlySo Gender Equality Statement). Working in the growing impact investment space means that we offer something different to the financial mainstream – you might make a lot less money, but you will have the chance to change the world. To find out more about any of our vacancies, please get in touch:
We are currently recruiting for the following roles at ClearlySo:
This is a permanent, full-time position based in ClearlySo’s London office.
ClearlySo is Europe’s leading impact investment bank, working exclusively with entrepreneurs and funds delivering attractive financial returns as well as positive social and/or environmental impact. We provide corporate finance advice and assist clients in raising investment capital from institutional and individual investors. ClearlySo has raised more capital for such organisations than any similar firm in Europe and our pipeline of business is growing very fast. Our work proves that impact has become a key third dimension in investment making decisions, and that values-driven businesses can be both high impact and return.
Founded in 2008, ClearlySo has advised 100+ clients raising circa £250m from its network of high net worth individuals and institutional investors to help them scale their businesses. Recent milestones include helping to raise £72m for our clients in 2018, a big jump from the prior year (£45m), a surge in impact fund mandates, and being named ‘Business Consultancy of the Year’ at the British Small Business Awards. ClearlySo also runs the UK’s first, largest, and most active group of private individuals investing for positive impact. You can read more about us on our website: www.clearlyso.com.
We are looking for an exceptional and committed professional to join the Investment Banking (“IB”) team to strengthen and broaden the work we do with our largest enterprise clients. The current IB team provides specialist corporate finance advisory and transaction execution services to impact enterprises looking to raise capital from institutional and individual impact investors. It also advises fund managers on structuring and raising impact funds. Historically most of the transactions we have intermediated have been equity-related. On the back of some large and successful debt raises for clients like Bulb and HCT, we are seeking a professional with experience in these instruments. This role is perfect for someone with such skills but looking to utilise them to the benefit of the high-impact clients with which ClearlySo works.
You will be an integral part of this established and experienced team and involved in the origination, execution and distribution of capital raising transactions across multiple sectors – including, but not limited to, energy and the environment, health care, property, financial services, education, ethical consumerism and impact funds. Although you will be engaged in various aspects of our business, including originating and executing equity capital raising and potentially M&A transactions and across different sectors, your role will be mostly focused on our largest clients and the debt capital raises which are becoming increasingly important.
This is a very exciting time to join the team as both our client pipeline and investor networks are growing rapidly. This reflects a significant step change in the impact investing market over the last year or so combined with ClearlySo reaping the benefits of its very strong brand presence. We are enjoying a full pipeline of high-quality transactions from existing and new clients and our extensive institutional investor network is growing rapidly all across the UK and Europe. We have also been expanding and strengthening the sales & distribution element of the IB team to meet this demand and capitalise on ClearlySo’s unique position and momentum. The role offers a high level of exposure to entrepreneurs, investors and businesses at the forefront of the impact investment space.
Transaction execution and completion
- Exploit ClearlySo’s vast network of high-impact enterprises and identify those with larger, fixed income capital raising needs. Target prospect and work alone and with others to originate deals.
- Collaborate with other deal managers on transactions they have originated where your fixed income expertise would be valuable.
- Assist the IB team in originating and executing equity capital raising transactions by managing some of these transactions.
- Assist IB team members in driving execution to a successful completion, especially in engaging with potential investors and managing negotiations to successfully complete the transaction in enterprise and impact fund transactions.
- Develop knowledge of the market for proposed transaction opportunities (e.g. for client pitches and to internal investment committee meetings) and assist on and direct pricing discussions.
- Manage investor outreach and brief clients ahead of prospective investor meetings.
- Provide critical analyses of investment materials and prepare the client for pitch sessions with prospective investors.
General personal and business development
- Proactively develop your own network of contacts and interact with impact enterprises, fund managers, investors and other stakeholders as well as advisers across the industry.
- Represent ClearlySo externally at events and conferences
- Learn from and work alongside the experienced institutional salespeople and deal managers.
- Help raising the profile of the ClearlySo brand by contributing to creative marketing campaigns and assisting with administration and coordination of our events.
- A minimum of 3-4 years of financial markets experience in private/public markets, investment/corporate banking, structured finance or related field, with particular experience in fixed income instruments and/or loans.
- Corporate finance or transaction/execution experience.
- Confident professional with a bias for action and experience in effectively contacting, engaging with, closing transactions with – and ensuring effective coverage of – institutional investors and lenders.
- An independent and reliable colleague who can effectively engage with current or new investors on specific transaction opportunities or wider coverage.
- Enthusiasm for working in a small, entrepreneurial company and good cultural fit with the team.
- Natural ability to make positive initial impression, sell and form deep and lasting relationships.
- Clear commitment to and passion for a better financial system where the impact of investments is considered alongside financial risk and return.
- Attention to detail and financial prudence; experience working in a regulated environment.
Nice to haves:
- Strong connections and network with institutional investors in Europe or family offices.
- An existing network of investors active in the impact investment or PE/VC funds market.
- Experience of working within impact enterprises/ investors
- Knowledge of trends and regulations affecting the impact investment market.
- Proficiency in one or more Continental European languages.
What we offer:
- An exciting and challenging role at Europe’s leading impact investment bank.
- The opportunity to work alongside a highly-motivated and diverse team with a strong commitment to achieving our mission and track record in closing impact transactions, which is uniquely positioned to capitalise on the surge in transaction activity in impact investing.
- A salary at the higher end of the impact investing sector; stock options; pension contribution; and potential for bonuses based upon firm-wide and individual performance.
- A pleasant, collaborative and dynamic place of work.
How to apply:
Please email email@example.com with your CV, plus a brief covering letter telling us why you are a great fit for the role. ClearlySo is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants must have an appropriate visa to work in the UK.