|Company||Alive & Kicking|
|Job type||Full time|
|Salary||45K+ Dependent on experience|
Alive & Kicking establishes sports ball factories in Africa with the objective of creating fair employment, promoting health education and supplying sports balls to schools that cannot afford them.
Launched in 2004 as a UK charity, Alive & Kicking has grown from a single factory in Nairobi, to running operations in Kenya, Zambia and Ghana. The enterprise currently supports 120 staff across Africa, a number of whom are disabled or in situations that would make finding alternative work highly difficult. Approximately 20% of the 450,000 balls that Alive & Kicking has produced have been donated to schools and youth projects, and over 50,000 young people have taken part in Alive & Kicking HIV/AIDS awareness raising road shows in Kenya and Zambia. The majority of Alive & Kicking’s balls are stitched from local leather, which makes them last twice as long on rough ground as the next best ball on the market.
The enterprise is based on a model of self-reliance in Africa where all profits are reinvested in the operations that make them. Each factory is established with initial grant funding, and is expected to become profitable within 5 years. The primary markets for Alive & Kicking balls on the African continent are retail, the NGO sector, company marketing and CSR departments. Balls are also increasingly sold beyond Africa’s borders and in 2012 they appeared on the shelves of John Lewis across the UK for the first time. In addition to the new partnership with John Lewis, 2012 also saw the enterprise expand into Ghana. Training at the new operation will be complete in January 2013.
At this exciting point in the social enterprise’s development, Alive & Kicking is looking for an energetic, determined and passionate CEO to drive the organisation to new heights. The successful candidate will be expected to direct the growth of Alive & Kicking’s products in multiple markets, oversee fundraising in the UK, develop readiness for new forms of social funding, support the continued start up of the Ghanaian operation and supervise the finances of the group.
Purpose of the Role:
· To drive the sustainable growth of Alive & Kicking as an international social enterprise
· To take strategic and managerial leadership for Alive & Kicking in collaboration with the Boards of Directors of its operations
· To take overall responsibility for income generation in the UK, lead by the Head of Fundraising
· To manage the finances of Alive & Kicking in the UK and oversee the finances of the operations
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
· Develop and implement Alive & Kicking’s strategy for growth
· Work with the Boards of Directors in Kenya, Zambia, Ghana and the UK to identify and exploit opportunities for sales growth across the African continent and beyond
· Take overall responsibility for the income targets in Alive & Kicking UK’s annual Business Plan and support the Head of Fundraising to achieve those targets
Finance & Governance
· Develop, manage and report on Alive & Kicking UK’s budget
· In support of each Country Board, monitor and report on the budgets of the operations
· Promote, monitor and report on Alive & Kicking’s governance programme across the enterprise’s offices, including the promotion of the enterprise’s anti-bribery policy
· Take responsibility for keeping proper records, and meeting statutory, Charity Commission and funder reporting requirements
Programmes and Partnerships
· Develop new programmes within and outside of the existing operations in order to maximise impact in line with Alive & Kicking’s vision and mission
· Maintain and develop Alive & Kicking’s monitoring & evaluation in order to continuously improve the enterprise’s impact and communicate that impact to partners
· Maintain and develop new partnerships that will help Alive & Kicking achieve its objectives
· Line manage Alive & Kicking’s UK staff, and support the Country Boards to line manage each operation’s Country Director
· Ensure that each operation adheres to Alive & Kicking’s Employment Charter and continuously monitor and try to improve upon Alive & Kicking’s fair employment objective
· Ensure the Board of Directors/Trustees in each country are motivated and engaged
· Make the best use of Alive & Kicking’s Marketing and PR budget to raise the profile of the enterprise internationally
· Promote Alive & Kicking at public events and network in the best interests of the enterprise
•Educated to degree level
MBA or equivalent further qualifications in Social Entrepreneurship/finance or related field
•Proven track record of implementing successful commercial strategies
•Experience of creating, managing and reporting against budgets
• Experience of managing a small team
•Experience of public presentation
• Experience of developing and delivering fundraising strategies
•Experience of working in a small organisation
•Business experience in Africa
Skills, Competencies & attributes
•Strong leadership skills
•A creative and proactive approach to work
• Ability to work collaboratively and to empathise with staff at all levels both near and distant
• Ability to motivate and enthuse colleagues, trustees and external supporters
•Good understanding of social enterprises and their operating environment
•Good partnership building and networking skills
•Enthusiasm for Africa and a belief in Alive & Kicking’s mission
•Knowledge of African economies and cultures, and experience of work related to Africa
•Knowledge of the fundraising environment in the UK
• Able to commute to offices near London Bridge and to travel to Alive & Kicking’s African operations approximately three times a year.
Apply for this role
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 9am on Monday 21st January, interviews will be held soon after and the ideal start date for the successful candidate is 1st April 2013. For more information please visit our website www.aliveandkicking.org or call 0203 189 4602.
Please mention ClearlySo when you apply.