Senior Associate, Financial Advisory & Capital Raising Team
|Location||20 Old Street London|
|Job type||Full time|
|Salary||Salary on application|
Who we are
As a financial intermediary in the social investment sector, ClearlySo advises social businesses and enterprises and impact investment funds on raising capital.
We typically work on behalf of social business and enterprise clients seeking to raise between £500k to in excess of £10m in equity or debt. ClearlySo is also a Provider under the Investment and Contract Readiness Fund (ICRF) and works on behalf of clients awarded an ICRF grant seeking to raise at least £500k of capital. ClearlySo has relationships with High Network Worth Individuals (HNWIs) and leading institutional investors, including foundations, impact investment funds, banks, corporates and other institutions. We also manage the first UK social business angel investment group, Clearly Social Angels.
We are currently seeking to add 3 professionals in order to expand our capabilities and to service this rapidly growing sector.
We are seeking a Senior Associate (Investor Team) to play a key role in building our individual investor network and developing relationships with HNWIs and angel investors seeking to invest in social businesses and enterprises. This would include managing relationships with private banks and family offices and with other angel investment networks.
The objective will be to identify, encourage and catalyse investment by HNWIs into ClearlySo’s social business and enterprise clients. The Senior Associate will be expected to work with the ClearlySo transaction Execution team and to take primary responsibility for supporting the investors and leading the investment process to a successful closing as part of the Investment Team.
An investment initiative
As part of this role, the Senior Associate will lead a specific initiative to identify potential investors with an interest in investing in social entrepreneurs seeking start up or early stage capital across the UK. Such social entrepreneurs will be selected in accordance with specific investments themes or by location and the individual will be required to build a potential investor network in accordance with the specific investment opportunity and to target investor interest.
The Senior Associate will be required to lead the investment process, supporting both investors and social entrepreneurs through the process, with the objective to successfully raise capital for the social entrepreneurs. He/She will also be required to coordinate and manage a small team dedicated to this specific initiative.
For this role, including the specific initiative for start-up/early stage social entrepreneurs, the successful candidate will work closely with the other members of the ClearlySo team who are responsible for Execution and those responsible for our relationships with institutional investors in the Investment Team.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Senior Associate will be specifically required to:
- Develop relationships with HNWIs and angel investors with an interest in social impact investing
- Build syndicate relationships with other angel investment networks
- Support investors in investment processes led by ClearlySo
- Assist on transaction execution on behalf of social business and enterprise clients where appropriate
- Supervise and facilitate, where appropriate, due diligence undertaken by potential investors
For the investment initiative:
On behalf of the investors;
- Identify and build relevant networks of angel investors with an interest in impact investing in start-up/early stage social businesses and enterprises according to
- Manage the investment process for each potential investment transaction
- Manage a small team
- Work closely with key partners in the investment process
- Provide reports and key performance indicators
On behalf of the social entrepreneurs;
- Provide an initial assessment of the investment readiness of the social entrepreneur(s)
- Contribute, where appropriate, to the writing/assessment of business plans, pitch materials and financial projections
- Accompany the social entrepreneur through the investment process including coaching and itch preparation
- Negotiate terms of the financing/transaction and contribute to the appropriate structuring of the financing/transaction
The role is a full time position and would especially suit individuals who have experience in private banking or investment management, otherwise in venture capital, private equity or investment banking, and of structuring capital (debt, equity etc) for early stage, growth and/or established small and medium-sized businesses. Experience of social enterprise would be preferable but not essential.
A successful candidate will have/be:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in private banking, investment management, venture capital, private equity, investment banking or a related professional experience and/or an professional experience with/in a social business or enterprise
- Experience and understanding of the specific challenges for entrepreneurs to become investment ready including legal and corporate structure and governance issues, team building etc.
- Experience leading the financial analysis, structuring and execution of transactions
- Experience in building financial models in Excel with full financial statements (P&L, cashflow, balance sheet) to value companies and model capital structure
- Excellent and proven communication and interpersonal skills; proven ability to build strong relationships at all levels including investors, social entrepreneurs, government organisations, corporate partners and the media
- Strong business coaching/mentoring skills
- Excellent project management skills and knowledge of CRM systems (knowledge of Salesforce.com would be an advantage) and other tools necessary for the position
- Commitment to the impact investment sector
- Ambition and resilience to join a rapidly expanding small team in an entrepreneurial company in a new but rapidly expanding sector
- Proactive self-starter with willingness and ability to be a team player
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally across with the UK
It is desirable but not essential for the candidate to have/be:
- Experience of investment transactions with angel investors and/or managing a diverse portfolio of clients
- Experience in training, coaching and facilitating personal development
- Experience of starting up or running a business/social business or enterprise or of working with social entrepreneurs
- Relevant FSA credentials
- An understanding of the challenges and issues facing social entrepreneurs
Closing date for applications: 7 January 2013
Apply for this role
Interested parties should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All enquiries will be treated in the strictest confidence. The position is based in London and start date is ASAP.
Your application should include the following:
- An up-to-date CV (résumé)
- Cover letter (stating your interest in social investment and social enterprise, your availability and where you heard about ClearlySo)
NB: Please consider that we are not in a position to offer the roles to individuals who do not/will not have a relevant UK work permit or visa.
Please mention ClearlySo when you apply.